Author Topic: The Next Chapter...  (Read 20289 times)

Offline Revydemychan

• Fresh Boarder
Re: The Next Chapter...
« Reply #390 on: July 14, 2017, 10:56:29 AM »
Yes, not sure if it is dedication or insanity though..... :D

I will say this though, that pursuing game development as a business endeavour is not for the faint of heart. In social situations - at least here in Sweden - people always ask "So, what do you do for a living". And when I explain what I do it is always met with "Wow - that must be such a cool job. A dream job!".
And while it is a lot of fun, and challenging, and being self employed in any business comes with certain freedoms and perks, it is also really difficult and stressful. Many aspects to juggle, obscure technical problems, bugs, etc. etc. Not to mention the pressures of delivering something good, in (reasonable) time and managing to get people to discover it / look at it.

But, with all that said, like most creative and stressful endeavours, the reward is usually worth it. I am still as thrilled by positive feedback as I was when I started. It feels so great to have been able to create something that others enjoy and that brighten their day. And I have even grown to appreciate harsh criticism. Even if it can be a bit unfair, there is usually a nugget of truth that can be acted upon = a better game.

So, not sure why I shared all that. Just wanted to give a balanced view of what it's like and how it has been for the past 3-4 years. But having the store page up now feels great, and it will be awesome to be able to release it. Hopefully that will be soon. It's up to the powers that be at Valve.

Everything has learning pains, hell i'm in the process of running my own transport company, it took me half a year just to get  a loan and convicing the people around me that i'm capable.   but the end result, I enjoy, I have my own hours, I just do a few jobs a day for two weeks of a month and boom all my bills paid, and I grow a little bit.  Its enjoyable to be able to have that freedom, Abeit compared to devoping a game with the amount of dedication and hours you put in, that's nothing. But still, the fact that I'm here, others are here all wanting to see this game and try it out because of what you present, means you created something that people can enjoy, and hopefully will enjoy.

Did I see that right, the store page is up?

Edit:  I did I did see that right, Attention attention, Read all about it, Store page is up, store page is up, add to your wish lists, follow! use the hub,  http://steamcommunity.com/app/650350
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 11:01:17 AM by Revydemychan »

Offline DP94

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Boarder
« Reply #391 on: July 14, 2017, 10:58:03 AM »

It sure is, go check it out
  •      
Scientist In Career, Scientist At heart

Offline Floris

• Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you for driving carefully!
    • ATP: 324
« Reply #392 on: July 14, 2017, 11:04:07 AM »
Yes, not sure if it is dedication or insanity though..... :D

I will say this though, that pursuing game development as a business endeavour is not for the faint of heart. In social situations - at least here in Sweden - people always ask "So, what do you do for a living". And when I explain what I do it is always met with "Wow - that must be such a cool job. A dream job!".
And while it is a lot of fun, and challenging, and being self employed in any business comes with certain freedoms and perks, it is also really difficult and stressful. Many aspects to juggle, obscure technical problems, bugs, etc. etc. Not to mention the pressures of delivering something good, in (reasonable) time and managing to get people to discover it / look at it.

But, with all that said, like most creative and stressful endeavours, the reward is usually worth it. I am still as thrilled by positive feedback as I was when I started. It feels so great to have been able to create something that others enjoy and that brighten their day. And I have even grown to appreciate harsh criticism. Even if it can be a bit unfair, there is usually a nugget of truth that can be acted upon = a better game.

So, not sure why I shared all that. Just wanted to give a balanced view of what it's like and how it has been for the past 3-4 years. But having the store page up now feels great, and it will be awesome to be able to release it. Hopefully that will be soon. It's up to the powers that be at Valve.

I got a lot of respect for this.
Being 'on your own' in the game business is really not as rosy as it might appear. In a big team or company, everyone has its own job as part of the team - but if you're doing most things alone it means a lot more responsibility and every kind of feedback will be targeted towards you personally and that will be hard at first.
Nonetheless, I know how rewarding it is releasing something you're satisfied with after times of stress. Just remember: when you reach the top of that mountain - you can go enjoy the view!
  •                  
My Machine World videos: MineTimelapser on YouTube

Thank you for driving carefully!

Update 1.5.8 video: Click!

Time flies, but so does my pig

Offline Revydemychan

• Fresh Boarder
« Reply #393 on: July 14, 2017, 11:05:58 AM »

It sure is, go check it out

Now Time to keep a eye on my youtube subsciptions for gameplay footage XD

Offline mechazawA110

• Fresh Boarder
« Reply #394 on: July 14, 2017, 02:41:34 PM »
Do we have an expected release day? Like within the next week possibly?

Offline Floris

• Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you for driving carefully!
    • ATP: 324
« Reply #395 on: July 14, 2017, 02:55:45 PM »
Do we have an expected release day? Like within the next week possibly?

As far as I know, this is all depending on Valve's review time at this point. Now I don't know how long this process usually takes, and the new Steam Direct may influence this time too. Knowing Valve, prepare for that it might take a while.
  •                  
My Machine World videos: MineTimelapser on YouTube

Thank you for driving carefully!

Update 1.5.8 video: Click!

Time flies, but so does my pig