Author Topic: The Next Chapter...  (Read 21954 times)

Offline Revydemychan

• Fresh Boarder
Re: The Next Chapter...
« Reply #396 on: July 14, 2017, 04:19:54 PM »
This is me waiting for gameplay footage to start to hit youtube.

Abeit that wait should be over soon as Raptor is doing a livestream of it later today from what I've seen on the steam discussions.

Offline Daniel

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Boarder
« Reply #397 on: July 17, 2017, 10:03:28 PM »
Just wanted to let you know that we've set the release date now: July 28!
Lead Developer of Machine World
Do you like Machine World? Please rate or review it on the App Store. Thanks! :)

Offline mafter

• Fresh Boarder
« Reply #398 on: July 17, 2017, 10:30:42 PM »
Cool! I have one question though, in Raptor's livestream, the game seemed sort of laggy. Is that the case? I heard he mentioned it being worse on the water(?). Hope you get a lot of sales, because you really deserve it after all that hard work!

Offline Daniel

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Boarder
« Reply #399 on: July 17, 2017, 10:43:09 PM »
Cool! I have one question though, in Raptor's livestream, the game seemed sort of laggy. Is that the case? I heard he mentioned it being worse on the water(?). Hope you get a lot of sales, because you really deserve it after all that hard work!

It honestly depends on three things:
1. What computer and graphics card you have.
2. How you have the graphics set (it is very configurable)
3. What else the computer is doing at the same time.

When it comes to live streams, I think the setups differ. Some run the game on one machine and then split the game video to another machine which also records any external cameras and audio. Others run everything off of the same machine, which can get a bit heavy if the game has a lot going on.
 I have no idea how Raptor's rig is set up, but I too noticed that it looked a bit laggy and also looked as if he ran it with quite low settings. I have emailed him about that, but have yet to get a reply (I guess he's been busy).
For what it's worth he also spawned almost all the machines in the game (currently) within a relatively small area. So I think there are many factors at play here.

FWIW, the gameplay videos we have up are from a PC with a GTX 980 and it runs the game very smoothly with all the graphics maxed out, except when *everything* in the game is within close proximity and I am looking at them (ie. all machines are at their full detail level including interiors, and so on). Then I have to lower the settings a bit to get the fps back up.

A final note though: physics and performance tuning + graphics polish is something we will be spending quite a bit of time on during Early Access. There are a lot of things we can do to speed things up even more (for example balancing when vehicles drop to lower detail levels, when physics sims pause when you are not near, etc.), and there is a lot of debug code running in the current builds which eats performance as well.

(Edit to add:) It scales quite well though: I ran it on an old Macbook Pro (from 2012 I think). Those are not known to have great graphics cards in them, and that's a five year old machine. I had to drop the graphics settings relatively low, but it ran smoothly. I was actually surprised by that. :)

Wow. Long answer. Hope it help! And thanks for the good wishes! :)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 10:57:12 PM by Daniel »
Do you like Machine World? Please rate or review it on the App Store. Thanks! :)

Offline mafter

• Fresh Boarder
« Reply #400 on: July 17, 2017, 11:00:39 PM »
Damn, thanks for the incredibly long answer! Game should run nicely on my rig then. Can't wait to get my hands on the game. Awesome to finally have a game where you can be in direct dialouge with the developer.  Tack sä mycket! ;) ( Hope I got all of the letters right as I'm Norwegian)

Offline Daniel

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Boarder
« Reply #401 on: July 17, 2017, 11:07:14 PM »
Damn, thanks for the incredibly long answer! Game should run nicely on my rig then. Can't wait to get my hands on the game. Awesome to finally have a game where you can be in direct dialouge with the developer.  Tack sä mycket! ;) ( Hope I got all of the letters right as I'm Norwegian)

Bah - it's "Tack SÅ mycket!" :P ;)
Ha en god kveld! :)