Author Topic: The Next Chapter...  (Read 19428 times)

Offline Daniel

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Boarder
Re: The Next Chapter...
« Reply #396 on: July 24, 2017, 09:53:04 AM »
Yes, I agree that panorama windows are missing. But they should be easy enough to add. (As you say, it's just a question of the frame hole dimensions.
Lead Developer of Machine World
Do you like Machine World? Please rate or review it on the App Store. Thanks! :)

Offline mafter

• Fresh Boarder
« Reply #397 on: July 24, 2017, 06:13:47 PM »
Quick question, has any of you/any of the testers had any experience with real machinery? Just wondering how the game feels compared to real machines.

Offline Daniel

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Boarder
« Reply #398 on: July 24, 2017, 07:10:47 PM »
Quick question, has any of you/any of the testers had any experience with real machinery? Just wondering how the game feels compared to real machines.
Yep!
I have quite a few hours in excavators. Both for fun and to actually accomplish stuff. The story of Machine World started with me renting an excavator to update the foundation drainage around my house (I was fortunate to have a neighbour who owned a couple of excavators, so he taught me the basics.).My son was 3-4 at the time and was super inspired, which led me to creating what was to become MW1 for him to play around with. :)

Also, we have a partnership with a big Swedish construction company that we have relied on both to be able to record sounds, and to learn more about how the machines work.
As for helicopters, I have taken lessons so I know how they feel and operate. However, I will say that the helicopters in MW2 are tamed down quite a bit as with fully realistic settings and no help system engaged, only very few would be able to fly them at all. Hovering in a helicopter is not easy.

So, we have strived for realism, but we have also made some concessions for the fact that it is a game. But I would say that it is realistic enough that time in an excavator in MW2 will definitely help you if you ever want to do the real thing. :)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 07:12:58 PM by Daniel »
Do you like Machine World? Please rate or review it on the App Store. Thanks! :)

Offline Floris

• Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you for driving carefully!
    • ATP: 324
« Reply #399 on: July 24, 2017, 07:47:40 PM »
And on the contrary: someone who has never really controlled a machine (apart from these playground excavators) the game is quite easy to get into but you still get to do the procedures to start up the machines.

Helicopter take-off is really great, and when you actually manage to take-off for the first time and stay in the air you feel like the next time you jump into a helicopter in real life you'd flip a few switches and can start it too - which isn't the best of ideas without experience but doesn't take away the satisfaction of pulling it off in Machine World.
  •                  
My Machine World videos: MineTimelapser on YouTube

Thank you for driving carefully!

Update 1.5.8 video: Click!

Time flies, but so does my pig

Offline DP94

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Boarder
« Reply #400 on: July 24, 2017, 08:48:02 PM »
I also do not have experience with any machines, I am a scientist, so it is completely the opposite end of the spectrum to what I am used to 😂

But If I enjoy cars and what’s better than cars, big machines. I think I’d have so much fun if I was able to hire a digger and dig up somebody’s garden
  •      
Scientist In Career, Scientist At heart

Offline Daniel

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Boarder
« Reply #401 on: July 24, 2017, 09:03:29 PM »
I also do not have experience with any machines, I am a scientist, so it is completely the opposite end of the spectrum to what I am used to 😂

But If I enjoy cars and what’s better than cars, big machines. I think I’d have so much fun if I was able to hire a digger and dig up somebody’s garden

It *is* a lot of fun. If I were to have to choose a new career, I would seriously consider a stint as excavator operator. :)